Thursday, February 15, 2007

Am I a mean, intimidating person?

Perhaps I'm going to be sorry I asked this question. But seriously, I'm starting to wonder what people think of me. A few weeks ago, my girlfriend told me that there was a miscommunication between her and her husband which resulted in him booking a business trip on the same weekend as my wedding. Of course I was totally bummed when she told me, but I didn't flip out or anything. So I was a little surprised but really didn't think too much of it when I called my girlfriend and her hubby picked up and had a certain reaction to me. The moment he heard my voice, he said something like "Oh boy, I am fully prepared to bear the wrath and read about how you're going to tear me apart on your blog for scheduling something on your wedding day and I fully accept it. I messed up. I'm so sorry. yada yada yada."

Like I said, didn't give it much thought. And then another incident happens. I asked my friend who I'll affectionately nickname "Fro-Yo" to come to a wedding planning meeting with me. Granted 1)I did give Fro-Yo plenty of notice so he could clear his calendar 2)Fro-Yo confirmed with me the week of the appointment that he was going to make it and 3)I emailed Fro-Yo the day prior to the meeting saying "I'll see you tomorrow", I still didn't freak out on him when he was a no-show. But when Fro-Yo finally realized that he missed the appointment, he left me a long rambling message on my cell profusely apologizing, going on and on about how he confused the days of the week, yada yada yada. And then followed up with a gchat to let me know again that he was sorry. Of course I expected some sort of explanation for the no-show, cuz it was just really weird that I didn't see Fro-Yo considering he confirmed with me he was going to make it. BUT then today, two weeks later, Fro-Yo asks for my blog's URL and mentions how he's ready to read about the entry that details what nerve he had for not showing up and pretending he didn't know what day of the week it was.

Isn't that crazy that my friends reacted that way? Am I really that scary?! I mean sure, I am judgemental, snobby and always call it like I see it. But that usually only applies to people other than my friends. Okay that's not true...sometimes I pass judgement on friends too. However I didn't know they knew that! I mean, I seriously thought my Berkeley girlfriends were kidding when they gave me the nickname "Cranky Angel"...you know, like it's ironic...like how sometimes a football player's nickname is Tiny?

So now the bigger question that I have to answer for myself is, do I embrace the fact that people find me scary? I mean it's kind of cool to have that "Don't make the V-train angry or else" reputation. It makes me feel like I'm gangsta or something.
Oh yeah...

No comments: