Saturday, February 10, 2007

Drama Mama

As anyone who I've spoken to in the last month knows, my stress level has been extremely high and is directly correlated to wedding planning. There's so much mama drama in my life, which I know is not unique for anyone who's planned a wedding. But it always feels like my family takes it to another level - can you say passive agressive? So my cousin, who I'll refer to now on as Meddlesome (I may explain how she got that nickname in a future post) tells me that my aunt, Nancy, told Meddlesome that my mom is mad at Meddlesome because Meddlesome is making all the wedding decisions and my mom feels left out. Of course my mom didn't tell me this and Meddlesome didn't hear this from my mom. And my family tends to be hyperbolic and gossipy which makes for pretty funny stories but can be really stressful if it applies to you.

So knowing how my mom feels, some good friends recommend that a fabulous way to involve my mom, who I'll refer to as Lils. They say to narrow all my decisions to two good choices and let Lils make the final decision...that way, whatever she decides will be something I'm okay with. Genius, right?

I tried this strategy with the wedding favors because seriously, who cares about the favors, right? I mean as long as the wedding favors has a big picture of Jemifus and me, who wouldn't be happy, right? Anyway, so Meddlesome and I come up with a few good authentic items from Vietnam that Lils can pick up on her trip next month. Like how personal and cool would that be, right? Well...when I gave Lils the options, I didn't anticpate that she would say, "Hmmmm...I'm not sure I like that idea. But if you're looking for something 'Vietnamese', I have a great idea. How about dolls?" So I say "Whuuuuut? Dolls?...I don't think I understand. I'm having a hard time visualizing? Did you say dolls?" Lils says "Yeah, dolls. We could have dolls in traditional Vietnamese dress. We'll place the boy dolls on the place settings where the a man sits and the girl dolls where the woman sits." And so I say "Oh...well...I don't really think men like dolls" ...you know trying to be nice but firm that dolls probably aren't a good idea...but Lils says in her oh how silly of you voice "Of course they are not for playing, they are for display. People will take the set of dolls home and put them up in their house" Anyway I tried to get Lils off of the dolls but consider this a forewarning, in case you're expecting a porcelain swan filled with jordan almonds as a parting gift.

PS
Out of curiousity, I did a google search to see what "Vietnamese dolls" look like and they are growing on me. Whaddya think?



No comments: