Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Do you know what's worse than having carpal tunnel?

Having tendonitis! Yes I know a bunch of carpal victims are probably cursing me out right now, but like I approach most people who get mad at me, I just say "yeah, whatever" or if I want to be a little nicer about it, I may shrug and say "oops" but never "oopsie".

So for those who don't know the difference between carpal tunnel and tendonitis, here's the explanation from my perspective. Carpal tunnel is very painful and lasts forever, usually caused by loads of typing. Tendonitis is painful as well but caused by overexertion of whatever body area and isn't supposed to last forever. My tendonitis is from my thumb to my wrist so it's sort of in the same area as carpal, which means I have to wear a ridiculous thumb splint. This is really the most important difference in my mind.

If I had carpal, I'd be wearing this which could be mistaken for a rollerblade guard which is kind of cool in a weird athletic sort of way:



But since I have tendonitis, I wear this which will never be mistaken for an athletic glove of any sort:

In fact it's the total opposite, it's so ugly and obtrusive that my cousin forbids me to wear it with her if we're in public.

And don't get me started on the frightened confused looks I get from little kids who see me wearing this ridiculous splint...

No comments: