Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cost-cutting Consequences

Like every other company, our company has caught cost-cutting fever. Gone is a color copier. Anything that can, has gone digital. There is dramatically less free food leftover from meetings. But none of these things have caused the amount of water cooler chat as the elimination of milk. Because I'm part of the growing lactose intolerant population, I've never paid much attention to the milk supply but I seriously couldn't avoid the topic. People just couldn't stop talking about it. It's to the point that my colleague keeps her milk in a baby bottle to ensure noone touches her precious milk. As Cathy would say "Ack!"

Anyway don't feel too bad for us. The milk was temporarily suspended but it's now back in limited quantities. And it's been made clear that the milk is only for coffee. Apparently people were using it for their daily cereal. Can we say moral hazard?

2 comments:

Jemifus said...

They should just switch from milk to half-and-half. If anyone still wants to put that on their cereal, let them!

Wendy Mihm said...

I agree with Jemifus. Let evolution do it's dirty work. I vaguely recall a similar milk escapade with I worked there. Clearly it didn't last then, either.