Sunday, June 24, 2007

Fro Yo Review: Pinkberry

I couldn't resist the temptation. There was just too much hype and buzz. I practically threw my Hamilton at the Pinkberry lady. And what did I get in return? A refreshing, tasty shaved ice treat that would have been way more refreshing and tasty without the Pinkberry signature plain yogurt mucking up the treat...blech. WTF? I realize it's 25 calories per oz. That's a very big plus. But it's not good. And it's not cheap either.

For those that have not ventured into the Asian dessert world, shaved ice is a freakin' fantastic concoction of condensed milk, some sort of sweet syrup, your choice of fruits and flavored gelatin and/or red beans, plus mochi all topped with a bed of shaved ice. And you can get quite a nice serving of this for a mere $2.50 at the Old Country Time Cafe in Alhambra.

Pinkberry puts a twist to the shaved ice by adding that disgusting yogurt to it. You also have the option to just get the yogurt with toppings. My posse and I tried both and the pics are below. Please see Abul, the camel plush, for size perspective. Also included is a pic with me and one of my posse members hanging out in the ultra-sleek store. If nothing else, it makes you feel really cool to be Pinkberrying it up.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Say what you like but this Fro-Yo thinks Pinkberry was pretty good. The shaved ice wasn't good that's not what they are known for. It's like going to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles and getting the ribs. Who does that. Stick to the core competency (unless you go to House of Teriyaki then you get the pancakes). Bottom line: Pinkberry yo+blueberry+kiwi=Yummy Refreshing.

BTW, Baby Natalie says that you are in her posse, not the other way around. Get it STR8